Portland's largest developed park at 78 acres, provides sweeping views of Casco Bay and direct access to the waterfront. The park features an Olmsted-designed landscape, Eastern Prom Multi-Use Trail, Will's Playground, public boating ramp, hand-launch boat ramp, East End Beach, community garden, and world-class sledding in the winter months. Many picnic areas and benches dot the property, and the park is home to the annual 4th of July celebration, concerts and events. Athletic facilities include: baseball, softball, tennis and basketball.
This garden is located behind the public tennis courts on the Eastern Promenade, it overlooks Casco Bay.
North Street Community Garden
Located across the street from the East End Elementary School, this community garden is adjacent to the school garden and overlooks Back Bay Cove.
memorials on the eastern promenade
For more information on Memorials and Monuments in Portland please visit this map.
Located a the intersection of Eastern Promenade and Congress Street. This obelisk memorial honors founders of Portland. Donated by Payson Tucker in 1883. It is engraved with four historic names by which the city has been known: Casco, Machigonne, Falmouth, and Portland. Iron fence encloses burial ground of 21 victims from War of 1812. Monument carved from Maine granite from North Jay quarries.
On Cutter Street, near Fort Allen park. This boulder memorial with bronze plaque was erected by Jacob Cousins Post # 99 in memory of Corporal Jacob Cousins, first Portland soldier of Jewish faith killed in WWI.
A memorial honoring Major Charles J. Loring Junior, a Portland native, who served in WWII and Korea. Major Loring was leading four jet fighters when his F-80 Shooting Star was hit over Sniper Ridge in North Korea. Leading a mission important to the beleaguered ground troops, Loring refused to call off the attack, and deliberately crashed his plane into enemy gun emplacements, destroying the guns and resulting in his death. The memorial was established by the Loring Memorial Park Association and was erected in May 2000.