The City Business License Administrator provides applications and coordinates all interdepartmental approvals pursuant to licensing ordinances. The Business License Administrator is responsible for issuing all business licenses for the City of Portland. To contact the Business License Administrator, call 207-874-8557.
COVID-19 RELATED RESOURCES - TEMPORARY STREET CLOSURES & EXPANSION OF OUTDOOR DINING AND RETAIL
Under the City Council's emergency proclamation, the City Manager may temporarily suspend certain traffic, outdoor dining, and retail business rules to allow for the safe and successful recovery of local businesses.
The deadline for Temporary Licenses was May 10, 2021.
Business License Requirements:
Prior to receiving a city license to conduct a business, most business types require an inspection or approval from:
Any outstanding taxes or sewer fees will affect your ability to obtain your business license until they are brought current.
City Treasury Division
Portland, ME 04101
All business licenses require a $45 application fee. However, if you are applying for multiple licenses at the same time, only one $45 fee is required. All fees, applications, and licenses must be paid on an annual basis. Renewal application fees are $35. Please do not send cash in the mail.
- Booting of Motor Vehicles License
- Brewery/Distillery/Winery Alcohol On Premise Application
- Brewery/Distillery/Winery Manufacturing Application
- Circus License
- Entertainment License
- Farmers Market Public Property License
- Fire Permit
- Flea Market Seller License Application
- Food Service Establishment - Commissary Kitchen
- Going Out of Business Sale
- Golf Cart
- Liquor License Application
- Massage Establishment
- Massage Therapist
- Massage Therapist - Establishment Combined
- Mobile Food Service License - Pushcart/Food Truck
- Mobile Food Service Rules and Regs - Pushcarts
- Mobile Food Service Rules and Regulations - Food Trucks
- Mobile Unit Compliance Handout
- Motion Picture Theatre
- Outdoor Dining Private Property
- Outdoor Dining Public Property
- Parklet Outdoor Dining
- Scrap Metal Recycling Facility
- Second Hand Dealer Junk Collector
- Sidewalk Sale
- Single Concert/Single Dance Permit
- Street Artist Handbook April 2017
- Street Artists Rules and Regulations
- Street Goods Vendor
- Temporary Food Service Establishment Rules & Regulations
- Temporary Food Service License
- Towing Wrecker Service License
- Transient Sellers Permit
- Valet Parking Application
- Valet Parking Rules and Regulations
Doing Business As (DBA)
Regardless of the type of business license applied for, if the applicant intends to operate as a sole proprietor or a partnership, a d/b/a (doing business as) must be filed. The d/b/a filing fee is $10.