When receiving or placing a call:
1. Use conference hold to place the non-English speaker on hold.
2. Dial 1-800-874-9426 for routine calls
Dial 1-800-523-1786 for Emergency calls
3. Give Information
~ Language needed
~ Client ID Number - (you will need the number)
~ Organization name - City of Portland
~ Personal Code - Your Department
4. Add non-English speaker to the line.
5. Wait for the answer point to conference in the Interpreter.
6. Brief the Interpreter. Summarize what you wish to accomplish and give any special instructions.
7. Say "End of call." to the interpreter when the call is completed.
* When placing a call to a non-English speaker, begin at Step 2*