Back Cove West Storage Conduit
On March 4, 2020 the City of Portland had a neighborhood meeting on this project. The presentation given at the meeting can be found under Press Releases. The project will start construction in October 2020.
Resident Survey: HERE
- New 10 foot x 8 foot and 12 foot x 8 foot box conduit will be installed in Baxter Boulevard to capture Combined Sewer Overflows before they reach back Cove.
- 8 existing CSO’s will be consolidated into 2 remaining CSO’s.
- In total the project will construct 3,800 linear ft of new box conduit.
- New sewer, storm drains and water lines will be installed in Dartmouth Street from Baxter Boulevard to Forest Avenue.
- Streets within work area will be reconstructed, new pavement installed.
- Multiple storm drain outfalls will be replaced along Baxter Boulevard.
- Multiple long street closures will occur throughout the project.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE PROJECT
- Large equipment and machines moving through the area creating vibrations
- Traffic disruptions, backups, moving work-zone, slower traffic
- Streets will be closed
- Temporary disruptions to driveways, water, sewer lines (contractor must provide notification)
- Temporary water lines will be installed running across yards and connecting to houses
- Dust - contractor required to control dust but it will still get dusty at times
- Professional interactions with contractor (contact one of the people listed below, if this doesn’t happen)
SEQUENCING OF PROJECT
- Start of construction late October 2020 and continue through 2021.
- Project will start by closing Baxter Boulevard from Payson Park to Vannah Avenue
- A 10 foot x 8 foot concrete box conduit will be installed from Cheverus Track to Vannah Ave.
- Once Box is completed to Vannah Baxter Boulevard from Vannah to Dartmouth Street will be closed.
- A 12 foot x 8 foot concrete box conduit will be installed from Vannah Ave to Dartmouth Street.
- Ocean Ave from Mackworth to Mayland St sewer, storm and water
- Once this section is complete Dartmouth St will be closed from Forest Ave to Baxter Boulevard.
- New sewer, storm and water will be installed in Dartmouth Street.
- Base Paving will occur throughout project as work is completed.
- Spring 2022 Surface Paving on stripping of the streets.
WHO TO CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS/ISSUES
- Project Engineer, Portland Department of Public Works: Nathaniel Smith at (207) 874-8818, firstname.lastname@example.org